Friday, June 21, 2019

Bollywood Martial Arts films

I love Bollywood movies.

I barely remember how I got hooked - I'm pretty sure I started with Krrish, which I watched because it's a superhero flick and I was curious (quick review: it's fine, not great). Then Netflix offered up Baahubali, which is an amazing 2 part movie that everyone should see (though it's a Tollywood movie, meaning it was shot in Tamil and Telugu, not really Bollywood). From there somehow I got addicted to standard Bollywood movies, especially those from a golden age from 1997-2012, and especially romantic comedies. Ironically, my wife is South Asian, and I've introduced her to these films (if you didn't know, I'm an American Jew of Eastern European descent and I have no real connection to South Asian culture other than a love of spicy food and the fact that I recently married into a South Asian family).

So if I criticize Indian movies, I'm coming from a place of love. My favorite actor is Shah Rukh Khan; my favorite actress is Kajol; I love Bollywood and watch Indian movies all the time. I'm not a hater on Indian movies.

But most Bollywood action movies have terrible martial arts.

[Small caveat: I'm not really in a position to comment on Indian cinema as a whole. India produces a ridiculous number of movies each year, and other than 50 words in Hindi I don't speak any South Asian languages. So I'm really only commenting on the Indian movies that are available in the US, on Netflix or Amazon Prime, with English subtitles. If you're reading this and can speak to other Indian movies with great martial arts, please comment on this post!]

I mean this in two ways. If you watch a standard Indian action movie, like the Dhoom or Race series, when and if there are unarmed combat scenes, they're pretty mediocre compared to similar Hollywood movies. The Bourne series, for example, has much better fight scenes.

Also, there are relatively few Indian movies with a real martial arts focus (or, as I mentioned above, they aren't getting subtitled and/or aren't available for streaming here).

The closest thing India has to a martial arts focused actor is Tiger Shroff (son of famous actor Jackie Shroff). Tiger (not his real name) seems to have some legit martial arts background in tae kwon do. He has 3 films you can watch in the US, in English (all have been on Netflix):
1. Heropanti - very entertaining - I found Tiger super charming is this one. B- for the martial arts (not bad, but nothing super innovative or exciting. This is no Ong Bak).
2. A Flying Jatt - superhero movie, also quite fun, maybe C+ as a martial arts film, but B- as a movie.
3. Baaghi - straight up martial arts standard movie plot and style. B+ as a martial arts movie, but nowhere near in the can't-miss level of something like Ong Bak or The Raid.


Other Indian martial arts films that you can find on Netflix or Amazon Prime:

Waarrior Savitri: retelling of a famous Indian fable in the modern day, using martial arts. Not a terrible movie, but not a good martial arts movie. Maybe C- as a martial arts film.

Kung Fu Yoga: Might be Jackie Chan's worst movie. Avoid at all costs.

Mard Ko Dard Nahi Hota: This is the gem. On Netflix now, this is both a pretty entertaining movie (nice plot, funny moments, good acting, everything you'd want in a good movie, B+ as a general film) it also has some excellent martial arts. Ironically, the best moves are probably done by the female costar, who has some really lovely scenes using a scar as a weapon.
Watch this one! B+ (maybe even an A-) as a martial arts film!!!

Generally speaking, martial arts haven't penetrated India's entertainment industry the way they have in, say, Thailand.

If you haven't watched any Bollywood and are looking for a primer, that's something I might do at some point. Watch Kal Ho Na Ho - if you don't love that film, give up (also, what is wrong with you???)

Please comment if you think I've missed anything!

Osu.





No comments:

Post a Comment